Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Little Wins...

Sitting in my little cubby at the B level of the John's Hopkins University library with only sharp fluorescent lights to guide my thoughts I made a jack pot discovery. I uncovered a book detailing the history of Baltimore's movie theaters. The first movies appeared on The Block in the early 19th century. This book must logically be an excellent account of early Baltimore Street and if I am lucky the author threw in the scratch houses as well (scratch house -  nickname for an adult movie house on The Block / the lice and filth in the theater left men scratching themselves when they left- gross!) Robert Headley Jr. and his book Exit: A History of Movies in Baltimore self-published in 1974 now sells online for no less than 300 dollars and up to over 1,000 due to its rarity and academic value. While the book is available to buy on several websites JHU does not have a single copy in their world famous library. The kind Information Man told me that it isn't there because it doesn't fit into their specialty categories of Science and Engineering. My joy was not hidden as I proudly told tell him about Blaze Starr and her movie Blaze Starr Goes Nudist and her famous smoking couch routine. He laughed to cover the fact that he was blushing like a pretty pig pink.

Consider it awesome that this stuffy name dropping nervous breakdown factory overlooked the one subject I have dedicated to my historical future. I would feel dirty and broken down if Hopkins had already sent their research pit bulls on the topic because a girl like me wouldn't stand a chance.

Enoch Pratt Free Library and their stunning Maryland Room rule again as their online catalog reveals 3 copies. I intend to speed over and lovingly read each page of Headley's precious work. Underground history may produce more frustration than content on occasion, but today's silly win keeps me going. It's helpful to know that some ideas are yet to be taken.

The original movie theaters on The Block represented a source of great pride for the city. They established the rich history of entertainment Baltimore Street would be infamously known. Stay tuned for some amazing and fascinating history of The Block as I unfold these pieces. Please send pieces of your own to sininmobtown@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment